This no-fuss dough is great for weeknight pizza dinners, or used for flatbread appetizers for your weekend house guests. Picture this: Hot, fresh, just-out-of-the-oven pizza with a crispy, yet chewy crust and an ooey gooey layer of cheese. It’s what dreams are made of!
And here’s our hot tip: There’s no need to order to your doorstep to make your pizza dreams come true. You can get these delicious results right at home, in the same time (or less!) for delivery, while saving big on your food budget. Preparing homemade pizza dough is simpler than you might think, and using the right ingredients is key.
Here’s why our quick and easy homemade dough recipe works every time:
- Instant yeast is the big time saver here, since there’s no need to wait for your dough to rise.
- Using a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour, along with wheat germ, gives this dough amazing flavour, texture and a high-fibre boost.
- Adding canola oil will make your dough easy to handle and stretch out, and provide just the right amount of fat to ensure a perfectly crispy crust.
Want to save even more time?
Double or triple your dough batch, wrap the extras tightly, and freeze for up to a month.
Pizza dough ingredients
1 cup whole-wheat flour (250 mL) *can be swapped for all-purpose (see below)
1 1/2 – 2 cups all-purpose flour (375-500 mL)
2 Tbsp wheat germ (30 mL) **optional
1 pkg (7 g) quick-rising instant yeast (1 pkg)
1 cup warm water (250 mL)
1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
Quick pizza sauce ingredients
2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
1 small onion, diced (1)
3 cloves garlic, minced (3)
3-4 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 2 Tbsp each of fresh oregano and basil (45-60 mL)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (1 mL)
1 can (28 oz/796 mL) crushed tomatoes (1 can)
1/2- 1 tsp sugar (optional- will reduce the acidity of tomatoes) (2-5 mL)
- In a large bowl, mix whole-wheat flour, 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour, wheat germ, salt and yeast. Stir in warm water and canola oil.
- Gradually stir in enough of remaining all-purpose flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly-floured surface until smooth and elastic.
- Shape dough into ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes before rolling out.
*If you want to make the dough with only all-purpose flour, you can! Swap out the 1 cup whole-wheat for all-purpose. You will need a total of 2 1/2 – 3 cups of all-purpose flour for the dough.
**The wheat germ can be left out and you will still have delicious dough.
Quick pizza sauce directions
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add canola oil.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, pepper and crushed tomatoes. Simmer sauce for 5-10 minutes.
The maximum amount of sodium Canadians should consume per day is 2300 mg. Make your pizza heart-healthy by using sodium-reduced sauce and include toppings such as red peppers, onion, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes, roasted chicken, broccoli and spinach.